Sunday, October 17, 2010

Too Cool For School

I've missed a few days of the 30 Day Blog Challenge.  Chyken and I have been very unwell with a snotty virus and the last thing I felt like doing was sitting in front of the computer.  Sad but true.  As a result, I'm going to answer a few questions in this one post, so I can try and catch up.

Question Nine:  What is something embarrassing that happened to you in high school?

At the time, I thought that pretty much my entire high school experience was embarrassing.  I was embarrassed that my mum wouldn't take my uniform up the length that all the other girls had.  I was embarrassed that I had the oldest parents.  In.  The.  Entire.  World.  I was embarrassed that I wasn't one of the 'cool girls'.  I was embarrassed that I lived miles out of town and couldn't go visiting my friends on a whim after school.  I was embarrassed that I never had the trendy outfits to wear on casual clothes days.  I was embarrassed that I wasn't allowed to get a perm until a LONG time after everyone else.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I can see that all of those things only mattered to ME.  No one else probably even noticed, let alone cared.  And as for being one of the 'cool girls', with the benefit of hindsight I now know several things: 

1) The so-called 'cool girls' were one of the bitchiest group of women I would ever encounter in my life. 

2) The friends I had in high school WERE the 'cool girls',  I just didn't realise it at the time.  I'm not saying that I didn't love and value them, I certainly did, but we did not think that we were the 'cool girls'.  My high school friends are the people that are still my friends today.  They are the ones that proudly stood beside me when I got married.  They are the people that pick me up when I am feeling down.  They didn’t care back then that I didn’t own a pair of stussy pants, and they don’t care now. 

3) Popularity once you leave school does not mean a thing.  I have since looked some of them up on Schoolfriends and Facebook and they are no more 'successful" or 'happy' than I am.  Suck on that, moles!

The Author, age 15
Question Ten: Fill in the blank. Right now I really want ___a winning tattslotto ticket___. 

Now, I know that this is something that almost everyone could do with, but I would make particularly good use of it at the moment.  Being sick is not cheap, even a minor sickness like the virus we have had this week.  I'd also like to pay off some debts we have, including getting a bit ahead on the mortgage.  While I'm at it, we could really use a holiday, I'd love to be able to visit our English friends again and/or to meet some of Chyken's wonderful American mates.

My Lucky Numbers?
Question Eleven:  How was your day?

So far, so good.  I went to work this morning.  It is quiet on a Sunday and not really like work at all.  Had a reasonable nights sleep last night, mainly because Mister Chyken Sweatypants is a sweetheart and took himself off to the spare bed so that I actually got some sleep.  This afternoon we have no plans, we might watch a DVD or two and just generally relax.  I got Chyken 'Storm Boy' on DVD yesterday, which is one of his favourite movies, but I don't think I have ever actually seen it.  Chyken has been off his food (no such luck for me!!!) but hopefully he will be up to eating more than jelly and fruit for dinner and we will have a nice chicken salad.  It is time to get back on the Weight Watchers bandwagon, I've been running just behind it for too long now.

Mister Percival!

Question Twelve:  What is your ultimate comfort food. And yes you can only pick just one.

One.  Really?  Just one?  hmmm... In that case, I choose... Fairy Floss.  We're talking comfort food, not favourite food, which in my book are two totally different things.  Fairy Floss has never failed to cheer me up, and that makes it the ultimate comfort food.  Plus, is is fat free!  Woot!

Food of the Gods!

How about you?  How's your own 30 Day Blog Challenge going?  How have YOU spent the weekend?  What is YOUR ultimate comfort food?  What was YOUR most embarrassing high school memory?  What do YOU really want right now?

2 comments:

  1. Jo, your comments about school hit the spot! You just pretty much described school life for me, and the realisation the the cool girls were just bitches, and the really cool people are the true friends you carry with you
    You are wise beyond your years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww shucks. But who are you?

    and that's it, I'm going to turn of the anonymous option for posting, the suspense is killing me!

    ReplyDelete

You comment, therefore you are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails